Since we will be at Lake Michigan College all day tomorrow, I'm sending the Friday report today.
If you are planning on going with us tomorrow, please be here by 7:40 as the bus will be leaving at 7:45 sharp. We will be walking outside, so please dress appropriately. Any student that arrives after the bus leaves will have to go home as all staff will be going on the visit. Lunch is provided. Here is our schedule:
7:45am- Leave Gateway
9:15am – Arrive at Lake Michigan College (Napier Campus)
9:15-9:45 – Admissions Presentation
9:45-10 – Hanson Technology Center Tour
10:05-10:15 – Mendel Center Tour
10:20-10:50 – Academic Building Tour
11-11:20 – Beckwith Hall Tour (dormitory)
11:30 -12 – Academic Building Tour (continued)
12-12:30 – Lunch
12:30 – Depart
1:45-Arrive at Gateway
Don't forget that conferences are next week. Please signup: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sh3EDDgpk-vAIV27KvXdH6ZcXUAzgErFhNTZQtx_bXU/edit#gid=7
Due to conferences next week, there is no school for students BUT students are welcome to come and work from 10-2.
Progress reports will be given out at conferences next week.
See you next week!!
Conferences are Feb 2,3, 6, and 8. Please sign up by clicking on the link:
If you wish a phone conference or to decline a conference, there is a place at the bottom of the form for you to indicate your choice. Remember that we are providing dinner and lunch on Feb. 2 & 3. Please indicate how many people will be attending. We still need students to see Mrs. Stage if they are willing to help prepare the meal. I am hoping for a very large turnout so that we can show off our new building.
Next Friday (Jan. 27) all students and staff will be visiting Lake Michigan College in Benton Harbor. The bus is leaving at 8:00 and returning at the end of the day. Parents are welcome to attend.
Progress reports will be sent home today.
Graduating seniors know what they need to accomplish before they can graduate. Any student who does not complete graduation requirements by noon on May 31 will not be permitted to graduate until the following year. Summer school is NOT an option. Graduation is on May 31, 7pm at the Gull Lake Middle School. Cost for graduation is $55, which covers: diploma, cap and gown, and food for the reception after the ceremony. Invitations are sold for .50 each.
We have three scholarships which are only available to Gateway seniors:
1. The Blair Holden Memorial Scholarship is $1000 per year for two years. The scholarship can be used in a way the benefits the graduate. Students apply by filling out an application. They top two choices are interviewed by Olga Holden, who then determines who will receive it.
2. The Blair Holden Merit Scholarship is a one time stipend of $500. The runner up for the Blair Holden Memorial Scholarship will receive this award.
3. The family of Beth Palmatier is in the process of setting up an scholarship in her honor. Beth has been a very important part of Gateway since its inception. She had to retire last year due to health issues but has stayed in touch with us as much as she in able. I will provide details for this when I receive them. Students apply by submitting a video of themselves (again, as I receive more information, I will pass it along).
These scholarships are incredible testimony to the work our students do. Scholarships can be used in anyway that promotes graduates to continue on their educational journey,,,,whether it be college, technical and/or trade certification, or vocational training.
I hope you all have a great weekend!
We made it through the first week back and survived. Our new building is great although we are still working through some heating issues: some areas are hotter than others but we are doing our best to have the entire floor as comfortable as possible.
One of the exciting things coming up is our Open House on February 2, which just happens to be on the same day as conferences. This is the plan: right after school, conferences start and go until 8:00. Students can stay after school and help make dinner using our new kitchen (we have a GREAT kitchen area) or play the Wii or watch movies. We would like to invite your entire family for dinner during the evening. I will send a link next week with the available time slots. Come for conferences and stay for dinner....or come for dinner and stay for conferences. We are very proud of our new building and can't wait to show it off. If you can't make it on Thursday, then come on Friday. I will have availability from 8:00-3:00(we can serve leftovers....if there are any :).
Another exciting program that we will be offering starting next week is a laundry service. All students have signed up for a day to bring in something to wash (clothes, towels, blankets) and it doesn't have to be a lot of items but it can be as much as they want to bring in. All students are expected to participate. If riding a bus and bringing in laundry isn't going to work for your child, we will pick him/her up and take home at the end of the day. This needs to be organized at least a day before.
There are a few reasons we are expecting everyone to participate:
1. We want everyone (even those who already know how to do their own laundry and do it on a regular basis) to be taught at school, how to do laundry so that we can mark it off their life skill list (this is something new that we have started this year). We will provide all detergent, fabric softener, and bleach. Students have signed up for a day in January or February to bring in something to wash. We will remind them and you the day before.
2. We want all students to have access to clean clothes and to feel comfortable bringing in their clothes. If everyone brings in clothes (or other items) one time, then all students are treated the same and no one should feel weird or bad for using the washer and dryer at school. I would love for our appliances to be busy all day!! After students bring in something to wash and are taught how to use the washer and dryer, then he/she can then bring in items as often as they like. Students do not need permission to use the appliances once they know how to correctly use them.
3. Did you know that students who have to go to school with unclean clothes are more likely to experience bullying? That’s what 90 percent of teachers say. They were part of a Whirlpool brand-commissioned national survey of 600 public school teachers. This survey was created to uncover issues connected with a real problem in schools–students’ struggle to access clean clothes. According to teachers, nearly one in five students in their schools deal with this lack of access to clean clothes on a regular basis.
It isn’t just bullying problems that affect these children, teachers revealed. More than half of the teachers think these students are more likely to struggle with absenteeism. (http://parade.com/497331/leahingram/free-clean-clothes-happy-students/)
4. Although we are requesting that all students bring in something to wash (for the good of group), we know that I can't "make" your child bring something to wash. My goal is for all students to be on the same level and treated equally. I want them to understand that not everyone has access to clean clothes and to appreciate what people go through to have them. Find something....car towels, an old blanket....please keep in mind that I need to look out for every student here and they don't all same the same backgrounds and advantages. I don't want anyone to feel that they are better than anyone else....or for anyone to feel that they are not as good as anyone else. If you believe that your child should not participate, please contact me. (Next week we have Monday-Winter;Tuesday-Sandra; Wednesday-Emma; and Thursday-Tonya.)
The mobile dentist will be seeing interested Gateway students February 20-22. If your child does not have dental insurance, this program is for you! I have the forms on my desk. If you would like one let me know and I will send home with your child. There is no cost for this service.
Progress reports will be sent home today. Graduation is May 31th, 7:00 at the middle school.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.